Hello my fellow women of beauty!
Last week’s post was the 1st half of That Body…That Dress. This week I bring to you the 2nd half.
I spoke about the 4 basic Body Types and Shapes, which are
- Apple shape or “V” type (inverted triangle/ triangle downward)
- Banana, straight, ruler shape or “I” type (rectangular)
- Hourglass shape or “X” type (facing in triangles, or opposing triangles)
- Pear, spoon, bell shape or “A” type (triangle upward)
And I spoke about, The Hourglass Body Shape and The Ruler Body Shape. I forgot to mention some top celebrities that have the Hourglass Body Shape and Ruler Body Shape. Hmm…
Please identify which celebrity has either an Hourglass or Ruler Body Shape
a) Nicole Kidman
b) Marilyn Monroe
c) Christina Hendricks (FYI she’s the red head in Mad Men)
**you are allowed to Google their images and scrutinise their body shapes. Lol!
In the 1st part of That Body…That Dress post, a friend asked me privately, about to know your body shape or body type. I told her that there are two ways, which was, by measuring herself or she could do it the way I did, which was to standing backing the light in my full underwear (minus body-magic, spanx, and girdle), and the shadow that was cast upon the wall revealed my body type, which is Ruler. 😀
The Pear/Spoon/Bell/Triangle or the letter “A” Body Type
This is a classic feminine shape, which has a shapely bottom, with a small waist. Meaning, that you are thinner on top with more curves or fullness on the bottom half.
The features of a Pear/ Triangle body shape are where the hip measurement is greater than the bust measurement.
NOTE: the bust/shoulders are not proportional to the hips, unlike the Hourglass, where both the bust/shoulders ARE proportional to the hips! So stop deceiving yourself o! Also having a massive bumbum with no hips doesn’t equal to hourglass or pear shape o!
The distribution of fat varies, with fat tending to deposit first in the buttocks, hips, and thighs. As body fat percentage increases, an increasing proportion of body fat is distributed around the waist and upper abdomen. The women of this body type tend to have a (relatively) larger rear, robust thighs, and a small bosom.
- A-line and ball gown silhouettes flatter triangle-shaped brides. Select a gown with some sort of detail at the waist to draw the eye to the smallest part of the body. A drop waist styled dress would do just that. Kim Kardashian’s wedding dress by Vera Wang, is a classic example of a drop waist styled dress.
- Try to create a balance for your shape by putting the attention on your upper half. Great options are one shoulder, strapless, V-neck, bateau or scoop necklines.
- Sheath wedding dress styles would be too clingy for your shape
- Mermaid and Trumpet would pull attention on the wrong half of your body, which is attention to your hips.
- Halter/High Necks can cause a disproportionate appearance
The Apple Body Shape or the letter “V” Body Type
An Apple/ Inverted Triangle/ Triangle Downward/ letter “V” shaped woman has broad shoulders as compared to her narrow hips. Her best features are her trim waist and slim killer legs/thighs that make her look sexy, confident and fit. Because the legs of an Apple shaped woman are typically well-sculpted, it is best to show them off.
Apple/Inverted Triangle/ letter “v” shaped women tend to have fat that is mainly distributed in the abdomen, chest, and face. While the abdomen and chest tend look larger compared to the rest of the body.
- Use lower/plunging necklines draw attention upwards. Cowl necks V-neck and sweetheart necklines are great options, it creates an illusion of the shoulders being narrow.
- Elongate your silhouette with a high waistline and a skirt that flows away from the body. Empire waistlines and A-line silhouettes are best for this. Full skirts help to balance your shoulders, by focusing on your emphasised waistline
- Consider showing off your legs with knee or tea length dresses. Tea length dresses would be fantastic to show off those sexy legs of yours. Let your dress determine your style to a fab 50’s pin-up modern look
- Sheaths, Mermaid and Trumpet will accentuate the widest part of your frame and flare at the slimmest
- Ball-gowns won’t elongate your silhouette
- Straight Across Strapless necklines won’t accentuate your bust-line
- No ruffles around the neckline!
WARNING: Keep embellishments to a minimum, especially around the neckline. Don’t draw attention away from features such as your slim waist.
In some cases, the Apple body shape and the Orange body shape/ Circle body type have a lot in common. So I will talk very briefly about the orange body shape/ circle body type.
The Orange Body Shape/ Circle Body Type/ Letter “O” Body Shape
The Circle body types, like the Apple body Shape, tend to have fat that is mainly distributed in the abdomen, chest, and face. However, Circle body types have a less defined waistline, unlike that of Apple Body Shape. The Circle Body Types also have slim killer legs and thighs.
For the Circle Body Types, the same rules apply to you, as that of the Apple. Just take notes of the Do’s and Don’ts for the Apple Body Shape.
Which top celebrity went from a Circle Body Type to an Hourglass Body Shape?
So…I don’t want to stretch this post any further. Don’t forget to answer the quizzes.
Have a great weekend!